Forsyth Park Inn Blog - May 2014
Isle of Hope Tour of Artful Gardens
Explore seven charming, diverse and awe-inspiring private gardens on the Isle of Hope and see prominent local artists painting in a variety of media amid the natural beauty. Refreshments will be served on a lawn overlooking Isle of Hope's famed bluff. Presented by Parkersburg Garden Club, the tour provides scholarships for deserving horticulture students at Armstrong Atlantic State University.
When: Sat., May 3, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
14th Annual Doggie Carnival at Forsyth Park
May 4th 2014 SUNDAY EVENT
Free and open to the public
The Humane Society for Greater Savannah is pleased to host its 14th Annual Doggie Carnival, from noon to 5 p.m. at Forsyth Park at the Band Shell. It’s kid-friendly – bounce castles, water slide, cotton candy, popcorn, face painting and fun contests like the Pooch Smooch. It’s canine-friendly – so bring your best friend for Doggie Derby races, contests, and doggie ice cream. There’ll be plenty of great food; you can “ask the vet” and get “advice from the behavior specialist”, or commission a portrait by the talented SCAD sketchers. Plus, we’re introducing LIVE music from some of your favorite local artists and of course there’ll be raffle drawings for some fabulous prizes (at only $5 a ticket). Admission to the carnival is FREE! All proceeds benefit the Humane Society for Greater Savannah.
2014 "Raise the Roof" Preservation Festival
When: Thu., May 8, 6-11 p.m., Fri., May 9, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. & 6-9 p.m. and Sat., May 10, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. & 7-10 p.m.
www.myHSF.org - for more information and to purchase your tickets.
This year’s theme, “Raise the Roof,” has a celebratory flavor and features three days of
education, outreach and inspiration. Savannah is set to host the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s annual conference in November of 2014, making this year’s Savannah Preservation Festival particularly timely and relevant.
Historic Savannah Foundation, a leading preservation organization committed to preserving and protecting Savannah's heritage, is pleased to announce the schedule for the third annual Savannah Preservation Festival, which will take place in Savannah May 8-10, 2014.
First Friday Art March
Events take place from 6-9 pm
(Not Goodbye) Printmaking Show, Fresh Crepes, and Music by Corey Hines @ Foxy Loxy Print Gallery and Cafe
Bike Scavenger Hunt Check-In @ De Soto Ave.
Catherine Baggett – New Nature @ Non-Fiction Gallery
Indie Arts Market @ De Soto Ave.
Jennifer Dodson – Psychosomatic Unity @ Fresh Exhibitions
Kid’s Activity Area @ De Soto Ave.
Metal Pressions Trunk Show @ Black Orchid Tattoo
Mike Williams – That U May Never Be Without @ Green Truck Pub
Open House @ One West Victory
R.E.D. by Lauren Schwind @ Anahata Healing Arts
Show- Beanies After Hours @ The Sentient Bean
Victory Gardens, Victory Stills, Jenny Shulkin, and Cup to Cup Coffee @ Whit's End
Vinyl Appreciation @ Graveface Records and Curiosities
Slavery and Freedom in Savannah Exhibition
Opening at the Jepson Center for the Arts May 10 @ 10am (daily until August 31, 2014)
207 West York Street
Savannah, GA 31401
on the corner of Telfair Square
2014 Memorial Day Weekend Travel Tips
For Memorial Day Weekend in Savannah, get away to gentle climates and quiet, patriotic days and nights.
The city itself is a spectacular destination worth the trip and worth the anticipation to explore. Especially in Savannah’s beautiful springtime one does not need events. Yet, we have put together a few things to do in Savannah, Tybee Island, and Hilton Head Island that you may have not considered (below).
Recommendations from our innkeepers: embrace Savannah’s unique places and southern style.
Famous places include garden-park cemeteries -- Colonial Cemetery downtown, Bonaventure Cemetery on the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway, and Laurel Grove Cemetery where over 600 Confederates from the Battle of Gettysburg are buried.
For a long holiday weekend in Savannah, Romantic Inns of Savannah innkeepers will help you to celebrate Memorial Day – the day in late May that typically marks the start of the summer vacation season.
- May 24: Jukebox! at Savannah Theatre
- May 24: The Savannah Mile, Forsyth Park, Savannah GA, family run/walk event -- fallen heroes, boys and girls, strollers, dogs, men and women; benefits to Savannah 200 Club of the Coastal Empire
- May 24: The Great Savannah Endurance Challenge 6, 12 & 24 Hour Individual Events + a 24 Hour Relay, Hutchinson Island Race Track, Savannah GA
- May 24-25: Tybee Arts Association Show and Sale, Tybee Island
- May 24 - 26: A Century of Sentries: 100 Years of Fort Jackson Guarding Savannah, Old Fort Jackson. Special children's activities.
- May 24 - 26: Bug Fest, Savannah Children's Museum | 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. (Saturday & Monday); 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. (Sunday)
- May 24 - 25: Hilton Head Arts Festival, Shelter Cover Harbor, Hilton Head Island, SC
- May 25: ** Memorial Day **
- May 25: Savannah Live! at Savannah Theatre
- May 25: Holiday Weekend Gaslight Tour, Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace (6:45 - 7:45 p.m.)
- May 25 - 26: War of Jenkins Ear at Wormsloe Plantation, Georgia's Oldest Plantation (Experience 3 centuries in 2 hours at Colonial Wormsloe ... reenactments, musket firing, tours) | 1 - 3 p.m.